Monday, August 12, 2013

Water, water…not so everywhere


Within an hour of landing in Kigali, I learned there was a water restriction because this dry season has been so incredibly dry. Because of the shortage, we only get water late at night or very early in the morning.

I’m not going to lie, the overindulged American in me was sorely disappointed that I wasn’t going to get a shower after more than 24 hours of travel. I felt absolutely disgusting from the “travel grime,” and I so desperately wanted to just wash it off. I freshened up as best I could and set off with the group for some lunch, figuring I’d shower the next day. I slept too late though and missed my window of opportunity to shower again…definitely a bit discouraging.

As I used the giant bucket of water collected the day before to bathe though, I was quickly reminded of how blessed I was to have any clean water at all, let alone a whole bucket of it. It took a few weeks last year, but I came to realize that these things I think are necessities – a strong cup of coffee, a hot shower, running water – are truly just luxuries. It’s so easy to take for granted the amount of clean, running water we have access to every minute of every day at home in the U.S., and whenever I’m here I’m overwhelmed by the extravagance of it and how much we truly waste. And with this check in perspective, I had never been happier to simply have soap and clean water to bathe with.

One thing is for sure though, I didn’t forget to fill up my water bucket last night! ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment