Saturday, August 3, 2013

Simply Beginning

I’ll be honest – I never quite know where to start with a new blog. There always seems to be a great idea on what to write about, but actually sitting down and picking somewhere to start just seems like a monumental task for me. Perhaps it’s because every good narrative needs a beginning, and as I’m in the middle of living mine, I just don’t know how to bring you all up to speed.

But as I spent the better part of today packing for my upcoming return trip to Rwanda, I realized that this story is one that needs to be told, for so many reasons that I will share with you on this journey. It certainly won’t be a linear one, and it might take quite a while to unfold and fill in the gaps. I can promise, however, that this will be real and possibly even raw at times. And while beginning still feels like a monumental task, I think that, perhaps, the best place to start is simply where I am right now.

What is this story – this blog – about, you ask?

As I’ll share throughout this blog, the past year of life has been absolutely crazy, to put it mildly. Although each year brings its fair share of change, I would have never pictured myself where I am right now one year ago today. There have been some wonderfully happy and fulfilling days; there have been some utterly low and heart-breaking days. And yet the one thing I have learned, and internalized, through it all is to trust wholeheartedly in my God and step out in complete faith as he calls me to. A few weeks ago, during a particularly discouraging time, I was introduced to a wonderful new worship song. The lyrics of the bridge stirred something in my spirit:
            Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders;
            let me walk upon the waters wherever you have called me.
            Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander,
            and my faith will be made stronger in the presence of my Savior.

I realized that this is part of what God has been doing in my life this year – teaching me to go where I have to have faith in him beyond any faith I’ve had before, to have “trust without borders.” Whether it’s a not-so-exciting job outside of Philly or a short trip to Rwanda, I need to step out in faith and go wherever it is he calls me. And it’s in that space of complete obedience and vulnerability that God can do some pretty amazing things. 

1 comment:

  1. I am anxious to hear this story and would like to see as many posts as possible. It may be one of the best communication tools we will have while you are away!
    Acts 17:28; 'for in Him we live and move and exist, as even some of your own poets have said, 'For we also are His children.'

    ReplyDelete